Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday Bluesday Part 3


It's raining outside. Kipling Street is a backwater at 6:30PM. Deserted. But inside the Roslyn Library there's a group of people basking in the warm glow of the sultry sounds provided by Harry Lilley and Amelia Shadbolt.

When I started up the monthly Tuesday Bluesday gigs I never imagined there would be so many incredibly talented people who would come out and share their gifts with the Roslyn community - for free! (If you don't count a few chocolate biscuits as payment...)
I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to Harry and Amelia. Give Harry some money when you see him busking in town! Have a look at Amelia's page here!

And I'd also like to thank the people who came out to support Tuesday Bluesday - I hope someone will keep it going in some form after my contract at the Roslyn Library runs out in December.

Song of the day: Chalk, by Amelia!
Book of the day: Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo.

Oh, PS. the first phase of the library's Review has been completed and we now have a Change Proposal to look at and respond to. Many opportunities, many firm but fair comments, a lot of things that some staff will disagree with, and also a lot of potential sadness if peoples' positions are disestablished. The main thing we can all agree upon is that librarians need to engage fully with communities, and respond to their needs, so as long as we keep that in sight we can't go too far wrong. The full review process will take a couple more months. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment