Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Power to the people!

Or rather, no power - we had a power outage in the Roslyn area yesterday morning.
That meant no public internet access, but you know what?
It was a beautiful sunny day, the place was nice and light and warm, and as I kept pointing out to people - the books still worked!
Some people took advantage of this and sat in the sun reading, kids were playing with the toys, and I even had one boy who usually only comes in for the internet draw me a picture (below) and take out a book!
So now I'm thinking it would be good to have a regular "power out" day. Or maybe a whole week...

I've also taken up a suggestion from a patron, who said I should have a table where people can leave their own books that they no longer want to keep, so that other people could share them around.
I thought that was a great idea, so I started by bringing in a few books from my own shelves at home, and most of them have already been taken. Hopefully this idea will take off - a lot of people will still want to donate their books to the Red Cross, which is something I wholeheartedly endorse, but others may want to share them with their local community. It's all good!

Song of the day: Let's Work Together, by Canned Heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment