Being a humanist atheist Taoist*, I don't usually have much to do with the Salvation Army. But they scored big points with me recently when I went to their opshop and picked up three bags of assorted kids toys for $2.50 each. I sorted through them to make sure there weren't any toys small enough for a toddler to swallow, and then put them in a bin at the Roslyn Library.
They have been a hit with kids out here, because before that there were just two puzzle toys to keep them occupied. It's great to see them pushing the toys about the place, and certainly makes the library feel more like the "Living Room of the City" that our mission statement proclaims.
By the way, I'm not saying that I'm clever and I know what kids need, I actually stole this idea from the woman who used to run the Ashhurst Library!
She's the same person who I stole the idea from of putting posters on the wall for the children's area.
Anyway, it reminds me of how my Mum used to proudly tell other parents that me and my brothers were very careful with toys and never broke any. Then years later after moving house we unpacked some boxes and found all these wrecked toys! (Although I'll give kudos to Fun-ho for taking abuse pretty well.)
Big news this week - just after I bought an old Dexy's Midnight Runners album at the Sanson market, I see an announcement that they've got a new album out! Have a look here. Such excitement! Can I get a "too-ra-loo-rye-aye", anybody?
They have been a hit with kids out here, because before that there were just two puzzle toys to keep them occupied. It's great to see them pushing the toys about the place, and certainly makes the library feel more like the "Living Room of the City" that our mission statement proclaims.
By the way, I'm not saying that I'm clever and I know what kids need, I actually stole this idea from the woman who used to run the Ashhurst Library!
She's the same person who I stole the idea from of putting posters on the wall for the children's area.
Anyway, it reminds me of how my Mum used to proudly tell other parents that me and my brothers were very careful with toys and never broke any. Then years later after moving house we unpacked some boxes and found all these wrecked toys! (Although I'll give kudos to Fun-ho for taking abuse pretty well.)
Big news this week - just after I bought an old Dexy's Midnight Runners album at the Sanson market, I see an announcement that they've got a new album out! Have a look here. Such excitement! Can I get a "too-ra-loo-rye-aye", anybody?
Book of the week: Quiet by Susan Cain. A great read which helps to explain people like me, who are introverts who also enjoy getting up onstage in front of people!
*Humanism, Atheism and Taoism aren't mutually exclusive, by the way. I follow philosophical Taoism as espoused in the Tao Te Ching, which isn't a religion as such, and certainly doesn't posit the existence of a God (hence no "theism".). Atheism and Humanism often go hand-in-hand, but not always. I like the positive connotations of Humanism, as opposed to the slightly negative A-Theism - "no-God-ism".
No comments:
Post a Comment