My first week as Roslyn Librarian just happened to coincide with school holidays - hilarious!
I have really enjoyed getting to know all the patrons better, and I'm racking my brains trying to come up with things for the kids to do. We've had a few spur-of-the-moment competitions and quizzes, and a lot of fun.
There are one or two parents who have never met me, yet somehow think highly enough of me that they are happy to tell their kids to go to library for the whole day. I'm keen to try to inspire kids to read, play and learn, but I really have no clue how to be a full-time babysitter. I have a degree in English and Philosophy, not caregiving. I will try to meet with these parents as soon as I can and see if I can encourage them to come in and take part in some activities with their kids.
To provide a complete contrast, just before the holidays, there was a finale party for a reading programme that had been going on for some weeks previous. The programme was all about parents reading with their children, and really involving the whole family.
Having done absolutely none of the preparation for this event, I had a great time freeloading and meeting people who had worked very hard to make it a success.
The teachers, parents and children involved in the programme looked like they had a great time, so I'm looking forward to being involved in the next one!
Song of the week: Whole wide world by Wreckless Eric. Because two chords is sometimes enough.
Book of the week: Reamde by Neal Stephenson. For when you want to come across as all clever in the brainpan.

No comments:
Post a Comment