Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tuesday Bluesday part two

Last night saw the second instalment of Tuesday Bluesday, and we were very fortunate to hear the genre-busting duo called The Children of Maui (Harry Lilley on guitar and Rob Thorne playing taonga puoro, traditional Maori musical instruments).
I loved the idea of pushing the envelope of what could be called blues music (and really I only called it Tuesday Bluesay because it rhymed!) These guys presented us with hypnotic grooves and highly textured soundscapes.
I'd like to thank the Children of Maui for coming to play for us, and also the people who turned up to support this initiative, which is all about encouraging participation in the arts at a very local level.
Please go and see the band's webpage at http://thechildrenofmaui.bandcamp.com/ to hear their work, and hopefully soon I'll have a short video clip up here on this blog.

Song of the day: Whakarongo ki te Kārangaranga by The Children of Maui.
Slightly related movie of the day: Whale rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment